Semi-trucks are massive vehicles that can easily crush smaller vehicles, which is why trucking accidents can be so catastrophic. Common causes of accidents involving semi-trucks or 18-wheelers are:
- Truck driver fatigue. If a driver is tired, their driving ability, judgment, reaction times, and attentiveness can significantly decrease. They might even fall asleep at the wheel.
- Driving errors. While driving, truck drivers may not drive cautiously. Because they are speeding, infrequently checking their blind spots, not using their turn signals, and/or turning into curves too fast, a collision occurs.
- Issues with tractor-trailer equipment. Failure to properly maintain or check equipment, manufacturing problems, or design errors can lead to mechanical problems. These problems can include faulty brakes, unsecured cargo, tire blowouts, and more, which can cause a collision.
Trucking accident victims/survivors often find themselves struggling because of a decreased quality of life and/or pain and suffering caused by the crash. This is in large part due to severe injuries that you can sustain, such as:
- Back and neck injuries, such as minor neck pain, whiplash, or a dislocated disk
- Broken bones, such as multiple fractures or crushed bones
- Burns, ranging in severity depending on the kinds of materials the truck was hauling
- Head trauma, such as brain injuries that cause a loss of cognitive or motor functions
- Internal injuries, such as internal bleeding involving your liver, spleen, pancreas, kidney, etc.
- Lacerations, such as cuts or gashes that are painful and leave permanent scars
- Rib or torso injuries, such as broken ribs or severe bruising
- Spinal cord damage, such as paralysis
- Wrongful death
These injuries not only impact your ability to complete daily tasks or go to work but can also involve costly surgeries, hospital stays, physical therapy appointments, and/or other medical care costs. In pursuing a personal injury claim, you may be able to receive compensation for:
- Lost wages
- Healthcare bills (past and future)
- Travel costs associated with getting to appointments
- Property damage
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
Proving Liability After a Trucking Accident
In trucking accident cases, proving liability can be a unique challenge. Depending on accident causation, the party legally responsible for your injuries and other damages could be the:
- Truck driver
- Cargo loader
- Truck manufacturer or owner
- Parts manufacturer
- Local government agency responsible for highway design or upkeep
This is why you must contact an attorney as soon as possible. A reliable attorney will be able to investigate the accident alongside accident reconstructionists and other experts to determine who is liable.
Contact An Atlanta Personal Injury Attorney
You have a right to receive fair compensation if you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, and Attorney Brian H. Sumrall is here to help you. Mr. Sumrall can help you settle out of court or litigate in court to fight for the compensation you deserve, and he is equipped to:
- Investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Create a unique legal strategy for your case
- Negotiate with your best interest in mind
- Calculate the total damages (economic, non-economic, and/or punitive) you are owed
- Support you throughout the process by being both an advocate and listening ear
Mr. Sumrall is an experienced attorney who has been recognized by Georgia Super Lawyers. He is also dedicated to serving injured clients who need legal counsel. To schedule your consultation or learn more about how The Law Office of Brian H. Sumrall can serve you, call (404) 857-3835 or reach out online today.
Find Us in Office
- THE LAW OFFICE OF BRIAN H. SUMRALL 513 Edgewood Avenue, Suite 300 Atlanta, GA 30312 [+] Map & Directions
Read Real Reviews
Not enough stars on here to rate Attorney Brian Sumrall.Antoine B.
With Attorney Sumrall, you have nothing to worry about!Tamonica T.
Attorney Sumrall has a great understanding & full knowledge of the law.Mark C.
How to File a Camp Lejeune Water Contamination LawsuitRead More
Avoiding Posting on Social Media After An AccidentRead More
6 Common Causes of Workers’ Compensation ClaimsRead More
Are You Suffering from a Repetitive Stress Injury?Read More
What If Your Workers’ Compensation Claim is Denied?Read More
Top 4 Benefits to Having a Workers’ Compensation AttorneyRead More
Attorney Brian H. Sumrall Selected to Super Lawyers® of 2021 ListRead More
What Are the Most Common Types of Personal Injury Damages?Read More